Thursday, January 3, 2013

I have been Vegucated!



I recently came across a film called Vegucated on Netflix. It’s a 2010 documentary about 3 New-Yorkers with the typical omnivorous diet who adopt a vegan diet for 6 weeks. 

I’ve always been fascinated by vegans. I didn’t understand how they could forgo all animal products including milk, cheese, and eggs. Not to mention how tricky it is to make sure you consume the right combination of plant protein to get all your essential amino acids. It just seemed like way too much trouble.

Well, after seeing this documentary, let me tell you it has become really hard not to second guess my own diet. Although the film follows the experiences of the 3 New-Yorkers and how they adapt to their new diet, its main focus is on educating the viewer on the shocking reality of the animal agricultural industry. It has images which are very difficult to watch, especially for an animal lover like myself.

What’s good about this documentary is that it’s not condescending or passes judgment. It doesn’t expect people who are starving to death to switch to a plant based diet. What it does is gives you a whole new perspective on your own food consumption and makes you second guess how important is it really for us consume animal products.

Although I don’t agree with everything in the documentary I urge you all to watch it (on Netflix). I truly believe it will change the way you look at your food. I’m not saying that I will become a vegan because I honestly don’t believe that I can. But there are definitely some changes Anthony (my husband) and I will make.  

Stay tuned because for one week early next month Anthony and I will adopt a vegan diet. I will post vegan recipes on the blog and relate how well (or not) we adapted to our animal-free culinary journey.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like the 3 New Yorkers are hippies. I like it when something has died for my meal. :)

    Poor Anthony, I will feel your pain.. (I suggest gorging on some cattle and some pork, the magical meat animal, before your anti-meat venture)

    Try this.. http://vimeo.com/24381566
    They had me at Cryofrying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I watched the documentary and it really opened my eyes. I don't think I can go full vegan, but I definitely agree that we eat too much meat and I find it disgusting how they treat the animals. Thanks Elisa for opening my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (I love how it doesn't detect the ' in my last name)

      Delete
  3. Oh no... I watched it!! You know what that means!
    Will be sending Dan this link btw, in his face for thinking that he can't keep those muscles without meat:
    http://www.beautiful-vegan.com/2009/05/vegan-body-builder-kenneth-g-williams.html

    ReplyDelete