Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Restaurant Experience: Paolo Gattuso Ristorante


When it comes to dining out, Italian restaurants are usually not my first choice. This stems from the fact that I love to explore a variety of cuisines, and I am already overly familiar with Italian food. However, my uncle Mario once said that you can't go wrong with Italian. Well, I may not agree with everything he says, but I do agree with this.

 So, when I want to forgo the exotic and stick to good old-fashioned Italian food, I know that a meal at Paolo Gattuso Ristorante is a sure bet.

What distinguishes the food at Paolo Gattuso is the freshness of the ingredients (something for which I am always a sucker). The salad is just a bit crispier; the veges are al dente; and as for the sauces? Well, the flavour is always guaranteed thanks to the quality of the ingredients, and not because of an overdose of salt.

Paolo Gattuso offers a variety of pasta dishes along with the usual pizza, meat, and poultry dishes. The menu is not too expansive, which is always a good sign because the focus can be kept on the quality and not the quantity. Prices are in the moderate-range with the added bonus that this is a bring your own wine restaurant (something always appreciated by the patrons). 

I had a great vegetarian pizza. They were very generous with the toppings, and I for one love it when fine herbs are sprinkled on top (a simple, flavourful touch that a surprising number of pizzerias neglect to think of). I also added some hot peppers, which is a must for many Italians. Coming from a family that brings their own jars of hot peppers to wedding receptions, I absolutely love the fact that this restaurant offers their very own "hot stuff." So much better than chili flakes! 


My husband had the smoked salmon pasta with capers, yummers! My mom had the pasta puttanesca, which she claims is the best she's ever had. So all in all, the food at Paolo Gattuso is just plain good. You can tell by the presentation of the dishes that they care about what they serve. So the next time you're in the mood for Italian food, head to Paolo Gattuso Ristorante. Just don't forget to make reservations because the place is usually packed (always a good sign --along with clean bathrooms ;-) )


No comments:

Post a Comment